Printer-friendly versionSend by email
Student-Mentor Communication in an Advising Relationship
Much of the faculty job deals with developing and sustaining communication and opening up opportunities for conversation about what and how a student is learning and the relevance of that learning to that student's personal, professional and academic life.
- Establish contact as soon as possible with the student.
- Connect with your mentees as they start their studies.
- Students need to know about any extension and rate of progress policies at the start.
- Check with new students at least at the half-way point in the enrollment.
- As students become more self-sustaining, communication often shifts from mentor-initiated to student-initiated.